Equity-informed responses to COVID-19
For up-to-date information on the virus, please visit the Government of Canada’s outbreak update page. To learn more about regional responses in your province or territory, please visit the respective website for your area’s health authority.
As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve at a rapid pace across the world, equity and solidarity need to be beacons in a values-driven global response.
Our societal responses must be infused with the knowledge that COVID-19 will swiftly follow and amplify lines of existing inequities.
For this reason, our decisions and actions must consistently place equity at the core.
We will be updating this page with resources related to health equity and the social determinants of health that are of relevance to Canadian public health.
If you would like to contribute a resource to this page or have questions, please contact us.
Click here to be notified when new resources are added to this page.
To support equity-informed responses, the NCCDH is hosting a series of community conversations on the topic. This is an opportunity for the public health field to explore equity-informed responses through action on the social and structural determinants of health. The conversations will connect practitioners with a diverse range of trusted experts and provide an opportunity to share experiences, resources, questions and solutions-focused ideas.
Conversations will be held every Wednesday from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. (ET) throughout April. We will continue to monitor the evolving situation and adapt our response.
COVID-19 resources from other National Collaborating Centres
National Collaborating Centre for Environmental Health
Environmental health resources for the COVID-19 pandemic
This topic page has been created to promote key COVID-19 resources to environmental health practitioners and related professions. The NCCEH is actively collecting and curating resources from more than 50 Canadian and international public health agencies, and will be promoting those resources via social media and by providing the essential resources on this topic page. This information is current to the date at the bottom of the page.
National Collaborating Centre for Healthy Public Policy
Public Health Ethics and COVID-19: Selected Resources
The NCCHPP has prepared a list of relevant resources on various ethical issues linked to COVID-19, each with a brief synthesis of what you will find in the document. The resources are organized by category (ethics frameworks and guidance for pandemics and public health emergencies, equity, Indigenous health, etc.).
National Collaborating Centre for Indigenous Health
The NCCIH will be frequently updating their website and social media channels to provide reliable, accurate and up-to-date information as well as information sources in relation to COVID-19 in response to the rapidly evolving global pandemic. These updates will relate to official public health guidelines and any information specific to First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples and communities.
National Collaborating Centre for Infectious Diseases
To support public health knowledge translation during the current outbreak of 2019 Novel Coronavirus, NCCID is releasing a Q+A podcast series for public health professionals and health care practitioners in Canada. Listener submissions and feedback will drive podcast topics.
National Collaborating Centre for Methods and Tools
The NCCMT wants to share knowledge quickly as it becomes available. To help in this effort, they are compiling research questions for rapid evidence reviews related to COVID-19 that are currently in development by Canadian public health organizations. To contribute, share your contact information and the topic of your review here.
- Addressing misinformation
- Equity and pandemic planning, response and recovery
- Housing and homelessness
- Income, employment and work
- Indigenous Peoples
- Mental health and wellbeing
- Vulnerable populations
Visit the Government of Canada website for information for health professionals and related guidance documents.
- Information about Covid-19. The Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. 2020.
[Arabic, Bengali, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Nishnaabemwin (Eastern Ojiwe), English, Farsi, French, German, Greek, Gujarati, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Kanien’kéha (Mohawk), Oji-Cree, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Russian, Romanian, Somali, Spanish, Swampy Cree, Tagalog, Tamil, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese]
- Novel Coronavirus fact sheet. Washington State Department of Health. 2020
[Amharic, Arabic, Bangla (Bengali), Chinese – Simplified, Chinese – Traditional, Farsi, Hindi, Japanese, Khmer, Korean, Marshallese, Punjabi (Indian), Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, Thai, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese)]
- "As coronavirus deepens inequality, inequality worsens its spread." Max Fisher and Emma Bubola. New York Times. 2020.
- "We need to urgently consider equity in our coronavirus response." Dr. Kwame McKenzie, The Toronto Star. 2020.
- Broadbent Institute resources and responses to COVID–19. Broadbent Institute. 2020.
- Public health and Covid-19. Public Health Association of British Columbia. 2020.
- Talking about coronavirus: centering language around inclusion, empowerment, and justice. The Opportunity Agenda. 2020.
- Why social policies make coronavirus worse. Think Global Health. 2020.
- "Coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19)." Seattle-King County Health Department. 2020
- Conversation series: Health equity, determinants of health and COVID-19. Occurring weekly, from April 1, 2020, onward.
- Covid 19: a data perspective. Statistics Canada. 2020.
- How to recognize a reliable source of information on health. Government of Quebec. 2020.
- Lin L, Savoia E, Agboola F, Viswanath K. What have we learned about communication inequalities during the H1N1 pandemic: a systematic review of the literature. BMC Public Health [Internet]. 2014 May [cited 2020 Apr 6];14(484):1-13. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-14-484.
- DeBruin D, Liaschenko J, Marshall MF. Social justice in pandemic preparedness. Am J Public Health [Internet]. 2012 [cited 20 Mar 2020];102:586-91. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3489368/.
- Gostin L, Friedman E, Wetter S. Responding to COVID-19: how to navigate a public health emergency legally and ethically. Hastings Center Report [Internet]. 2020 [cited 6 Apr 2020 ];50:1-5. Available from: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1002/hast.1090.
- Kayman H, Ablorh-Odjidja A. Revisiting public health preparedness: incorporating social justice principles into pandemic preparedness planning for influenza. J Public Health Manag Pract [Internet]. 2006 [cited 20 Mar 2020];12(4):373-80. Available from: https://journals.lww.com/jphmp/fulltext/2006/07000/revisiting_public_health_preparedness_.11.aspx.
- Khan Y, O’Sullivan T, Brown A, Tracey S, Gibson J, Généreux M, et al. Public health emergency preparedness: a framework to promote resilience. BMC Public Health [Internet]. 2018 [cited 2020 Apr 6];18(1344):1-16. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-018-6250-7.
- Plough A, Bristow B, Fielding J, Caldwell S, Khan S. Pandemics and health equity: lessons learned from the H1N1 response in Los Angeles County. J Public Health Manag Pract [Internet]. 2011 [cited 20 Mar 2020];17(1):20-27. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1097/PHH.0b013e3181ff2ad7.
- Beyond sex and gender analysis: an intersectional view of the COVID-19 pandemic outbreak and response. Hankivsky O, Kapilashrami A. 2020.
- Ethics of using restrictive measures in the control of infectious diseases. Dalla Lana School of Public Health. 2020. (video)
- Perceptions and behavioural responses of the general public during the COVID-19 pandemic: a cross-sectional survey of UK Adults. Atchison CJ, Bowman L, Vrinten C, Redd R, Pristera P, Eaton JW, Ward H. 2020.
- Equitable response community commons. Center for Urban and Racial Equity. 2020.
- Wenham C, Smith J, Morgan R, on behalf of the Gender and COVID-19 Working Group. COVID-19: the gendered impacts of the outbreak. Lancet [Internet]. 2020 Mar [cited 20 Mar 2020];395(10227):846-8. Available from: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30526-2/fulltext.
- Wenham D, Smith J, Morgan R. Covid-19: the gendered impacts of the outbreak. The Lancet [Internet]. 2020 [cited 22 Apr 2020]; 395(10227):846-848. Available from: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30526-2/fulltext.
- Feminist resources on the pandemic. Centre for Feminist Foreign Policy. 2020.
- Infection prevention and control guide for homelessness service settings. Toronto Public Health. 2019.
- 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19): Interim guidance for homelessness service settings providers. Toronto Public Health. 2020.
- "Coronavirus resources for the homelessness sector." The Canadian Alliance to End Homelessness. 2020.
- "Pandemic planning and services that support people who are homeless." OrgCode. 2020.
- Interim guidance for homeless shelters (COVID-19). Centres for Disease Control and Prevention. 2020.
- Webinar recording: Coronavirus and the HCH community: Status updates, available guidance, local preparations, and outstanding issues. National Health Care for the Homeless Council. 2020.
- COVID-19 & the HCH Community: Needed policy responses for a high-risk group. National Health Care for the Homeless Council. 2020.
- Talking about health, housing, and covid-19: keeping equity at the forefront. Berkeley Media Studies Group. 2020.
- A call to action: Covid-19, housing instability, and health. Bay Area Regional Health Inequities Initiative. 2020.
- "Canadian workforce unevenly protected from COVID-19." Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives.
- "Resources for Canadian businesses: COVID-19." Government of Canada. 2020.
- "Interim guidance for businesses and employers to plan and respond to coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)." Centre for Disease Control (U.S.). 2020.
- "Take action on income supports." Broadbent Institute. 2020.
- Ong P, Pech C, Gonzalez S, Vasquez-Noriega C. Implications of COVID-19 on at-risk workers by neighborhood in Los Angeles [internet]. UCLA Center for Neighborhood Knowledge; 2020 [cited 7 Apr 2020]. Available from https://knowledge.luskin.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/LPPI-Implications-from-COVID-19-res2-1.pdf
- "Coronavirus (COVID-19) and Indigenous communities." Government of Canada.
- Infectious Questions: Preparedness in First Nations communities for COVID-19 (2019-nCoV, Pt 5). National Collaborating Centre for Infectious Disease. 2020. (podcast)
- "Covid-19 and Indigenous communities: Family conversations." Yellowhead Institute. 2020.
- Covid-19. Inuit Tapiirit Kanatami. 2020.
- Highlights from A Covid-19 Fireside Chat with Indigenous Health Professionals. Yellowhead Institute. 2020.
- Covid-19. Assembly of First Nations. 2020.
- Métis Nation Covid-19. Métis National Council. 2020.
- COVID-19 information. Native Women’s Association of Canada. 2020.
- When coronavirus and collonialism collide [podcast]. Media Indigena. 2020.
- Brooks SK, Webster RK, Smith LE, Woodland L, Wessley S, Greenberg N, et al. The psychological impact of quarantine and how to reduce it: rapid review of the evidence. Lancet. 2020 [cited 20 Mar 2020];395(10227):912-20. Available from: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30460-8/fulltext.
- "6 tips to respond to employee anxiety about COVID-19." Canadian Mental Health Association. 2020.
- "How to survive isolation with your roommates, your partner, your kids – and yourself." The Guardian. 2020.
- "Stigma, discrimination, health impacts and COVID-19." National Collaborating Centre for Determinants of Health. 2020.
- Statement on the COVID-19 emergency and its impacts on Indigenous Peoples and peoples of colour. Colour of Poverty – Colour of Change. 2020.
- "Selective xenophobia: What COVID-19 is teaching us about who we target when it comes to racism." CTV News Montreal. 2020.
- Covid-19 related resources. Network for the Advancement of Black Communities. 2020.
- COVID-19: Addressing discrimination and racism: Local health department support guidance. Berkeley Media Studies group. 2020.
- "Stigma, discrimination, health impacts and COVID-19." National Collaborating Centre for Determinants of Health. 2020.
- Infectious Questions: Addressing issues of stigma and discrimination for 2019-nCoV (2019-nCoV, Pt 4). National Collaborating Centre for Infectious Diseases. 2020. (podcast)
- Social stigma associated with COVID-19. CIFRC, Unicef, WHO. 2020.
- Coronavirus 2019: reducing stigma. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2020. (web page)
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Vulnerable populations and COVID-19. Public Health Agency of Canada. 2020.
- Pineda VS, Corburn J. Disability, urban health equity, and the coronavirus pandemic: promoting cities for all. J Urban Health [Internet]. 2020 [cited 29 Apr 2020]; DOI: 10.1007/s11524-020-00437-7. Available from: https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/s11524-020-00437-7.pdf.
- COVID 19 and the disability movement. International Disability Alliance. 2020.
- Food policy and Covid-19: from short-term response to food system transformation [webinar]. Foodsecure Canada. 2020.
- Covid-19 food security. Capital Regional Food and Agriculture Initiatives Roundtable. 2020.
- Who’s missing out? COVID-19 supports and benefits rapid analysis. Wellesley Institute. 2020.