A gaps analysis to improve health equity knowledge and practices
As part of its mandate, the National Collaborating Centre for Determinants of Health (NCCDH) uncovers and responds to gaps that influence the public health sector’s capacity to improve or mitigate social determinants of health. Given the complexity of addressing SDH to advance health equity, the NCCDH approaches gaps broadly. This analysis identifies gaps in research on public health systems and practices relating to health equity, weaknesses and inconsistencies in practitioner knowledge and skills, and barriers to accessing and applying knowledge.
The NCCDH identifies evidence and knowledge gaps through multiple means, including secondary research and synthesis of literature; consultation with its audiences, partners and other stakeholders; direct requests for information from users, researchers and other stakeholders; and evaluation and environmental scanning reports.
This gap analysis was designed as a resource to focus attention on the most pressing needs in advancing health equity. It is structured to identify gaps and actions by three key audiences:
- Researchers - Primarily academics outside of the formal public health system (or co-appointed) who have some capacity to undertake independent research
- Policy-makers and government decision-makers - Those with the authority to generate changes in the conditions and context within the public health system, influencing both how practitioners work and how public health departments and institutions are organized.
- Public health practitioners – Those who practice in the formal public health sector, including formal leaders (senior management), middle management and front-line, across programs and disciplines.
Use this document to
- to undertake independent research
- to generate changes in the conditions and context within the public health system, influencing both how practitioners work and how public health departments and institutions are organized
National Collaborating Centre for Determinants of Health. (2018). A Gaps Analysis to Improve Health Equity Knowledge and Practices. Antigonish, NS: National Collaborating Centre for Determinants of Health, St. Francis Xavier University.
- Building a culture of equity: 2018 environmental scan (2018)
- Public health leadership for action on health equity: A literature review (2018)
- Let’s Talk: Public health roles to address health equity (2013)
- Integrating social determinants of health and health equity into Canadian public health practice: Environmental scan 2010 (2010)
- Boosting momentum: Applying knowledge to advance health equity (2014)
This product is in the final stages of production. Please check back soon.