Improving Population Health by Working with Communities: Action Guide 3.0
The National Quality Forum (NQF) Action Guide is a framework to help multi-sector groups work together to improve population health by addressing 10 interrelated elements for success, using related resources as needed.
Much like a “how-to” manual, the Action Guide is organized by these elements and contains definitions, recommendations, practical examples, and a range of resources to help communities achieve their shared goals and make lasting improvements in population health. Intentionally brief, it is written in plain language to be as accessible as possible for all types of stakeholders in the U.S. (at local, state, regional, and national levels) to take action.
Through the National Quality Strategy (NQS), the NQF prioritizes community efforts and interventions to improve social, economic, and environmental factors that impact health. At the same time, they recognize that quality improvement and measurement have been overwhelmingly focused on the clinical care system. The purpose of this project was to better understand how communities can work with the public health and clinical care systems to collaboratively improve population health. Shared definitions and a common conceptual framework are intended to ensure better coordination and advance community partnerships.
The 3-year project was funded under NQF’s contract with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and explored questions such as:
- How can individuals and multi- stakeholder groups come together to address community health improvement?
- Which individuals and organizations should be at the table?
- What processes and methods should communities use to assess their health?
- What data are available to assess, analyze, and address community health needs, and measure improvement?
- What incentives exist that can drive alignment and coordination to improve community health?
- How can communities advance more affordable care by achieving greater alignment, efficiency, and cost savings?
Use this resource to:
- Undertake a collaborative self-assessment of population health approaches
- Find examples and resources to help with organizational planning and priority setting
- Bring together stakeholders across the health sector and community to explore opportunities for collaboration
National Quality Forum (2016). Improving Population Health by Working with Communities: Action Guide 3.0. Multistakeholder input on a national priority, August 2016. National Quality Forum, Washington, DC: www.qualityforum.org. Retrieved from: http://www.qualityforum.org/Publications/2016/08/Improving_Population_Health_by_Working_with_Communities__Action_Guide_3_0.aspx
- Equity-integrated population health status reporting: Action framework
- Common agenda for public health action on health equity
- A guide to community engagement frameworks for action on the social determinants of health and health equity