Doctors for health equity. The role of the World Medical Association, national medical associations and doctors in addressing the social determinants of health and health equity
This report explores evidence and case studies to highlight the ways in which doctors, national medical associations and the World Medical Association (WMA) can act on the social determinants of health and improve health equity. These actions include:
- High level advocacy and advice,
- Shaping policies at local, national, regional and international levels,
- Partnering and collaborating with sectors outside health, and
- Doctors’ individual interactions with patients during clinical encounters.
A strategy for the WMA and national medical associations is outlined, as well as practical approaches for medical professionals and their associations to incorporate the social determinants of health into their everyday practice and broader societal roles.
This report is part of Dr. Michael Marmot’s commitment to using his term as president of the WMA to advance action on improving health equity around the world.This included a number of initiatives:
- WMA Declaration of Oslo on Social Determinants of Health, October 2016
- Online course in partnership with the British Medical Journal
- Closing remarks from Dr. Marmot
Use this resource to:
- Explore opportunities to partner with medical colleagues in other parts of the health sector on health equity initiatives (see additional Canadian resources at Canadian Medical Association).
- Find case studies to explore physician engagement and action on the social determinants of health
- Bring together stakeholders across the health sector to explore opportunities for public health collaboration
Institute of Health Equity and World Medical Association (2016). Doctors for Health Equity. The role of the World Medical Association, national medical associations and doctors in addressing the social determinants of health and health equity. Retrieved from: http://www.instituteofhealthequity.org/Content/FileManager/wma-ihe-report_-doctors-for-health-equity-2016.pdf.
- Let's Talk: Public health roles for improving health equity
- Key public health resources for advocacy and health equity: A curated list
- Common agenda for public health action on health equity
- Physicians and health equity: Opportunities in practice
- Rio political declaration on social determinants of health: A snapshot of Canadian actions 2015