Common agenda for public health action on health equity
The National Collaborating Centre for Determinants of Health (NCCDH) collaborates with and engages public health practitioners, researchers, and decision-makers across Canada on the question of how to strengthen the social determinants of health and improve health equity.
Through knowledge exchange, learning and networking activities, these stakeholders have identified challenges they face, priorities they are already engaged in, and areas for more focus and collaboration. This common agenda was developed through a synthesis of documents from these activities (including past NCCDH event reports, environmental scans, and meeting notes), and staff observations during network development activities and consultations. These sources represent the voices of thousands of public health actors from every province and territory in Canada.
The Common Agenda identifies eight priorities for public health stakeholders:
- Strengthen public health leadership
- Increase social and political support (political will) and action
- Build organizational and system capacity
- Identify how public health and health care activities can be levers for improving health equity
- Act on existing evidence and strengthen the knowledge base to support concerted action
- Incorporate equity considerations into regular monitoring, surveillance and reporting
- Participate in long-term, multisectoral action
- Advocate for policy and structural change
These priorities build on existing momentum to improve health equity in Canada and can support policy makers, practitioners and organizations at all levels to influence the social determinants of health. While this document was developed for public health, the priorities acknowledge that this work happens in collaboration with health and non-health partners, and community stakeholders.
Use this resource to:
- Identify approaches to guide organizational and systems action needed to improve health equity.
- Facilitate discussions about common health equity action priorities with internal and external partners.
- Evaluate current health equity activities and develop strategies to bridge gaps in action.
National Collaborating Centre for Determinants of Health. (2016). Common Agenda for Public Health Action on Health Equity. Antigonish, NS: National Collaborating Centre for Determinants of Health, St. Francis Xavier University.
- Boosting momentum: Applying knowledge to advance health equity - 2014 Environmental scan
- Integrating social determinants of health and health equity into Canadian public health practice - 2010 Environmental scan
Tags: Aboriginal health , Access to health services, Assess and report, Communicate, Community engagement, Competencies & organizational standards , Critical works in health equity, Early childhood development, Environmental health, Evaluation, Food security, Health literacy, Healthy public policy, Income inequality, Infectious disease, Intersectoral action, Key concepts, Knowledge translation , Leadership & capacity building, Methods & tools, Modify & orient, Partner, Policy analysis, Public health unit / health authority, Racism/racialization, Sex & gender, Socioeconomic status , Working conditions