Equity-integrated population health status reporting: Action framework
Population health status reporting (PHSR) is a dynamic tool for addressing the social determinants of health and improving health equity. This resource presents an accessible action framework for people who are creating community health status reports, as well as people interested in learning how to use PHSR to drive action on improving health equity.
Actors at all levels of the health system— including senior leaders, medical health officers, epidemiologists, managers and front-line staff—are well-positioned to use PHSR processes as a call to action for interventions that address the social determinants of health and improve health equity.
The action framework includes
- the roles and expected outcomes for public health actors, researchers and community stakeholders
- how to communicate, collaborate and apply a health equity values lens, including key questions to ask and examples of promising practices
- seven steps of a population health status reporting process and examples of potential actions/promising practices for each
The document concludes with examples of ways to apply the framework to your own practice and how to use it as a conversation starter. Readers are encouraged to examine the framework through the lens of their own role in the system and think about what they can do within their circle of influence.
Use this resource to:
- start a conversation at a regular meeting with your supervisor, team or unit, or at the next strategic planning session
- invite other teams or units doing PHSR work in your organization to explore whether there are opportunities to apply components of this Action Framework to influence an existing PHSR process
- explore the opportunity for a new PHSR process if you do not currently have one in your organization or community.
National Collaborating Centres for Public Health (NCCPH) and the National Collaborating Centre for Determinants of Health (NCCDH). (2015). Equity-Integrated Population Health Status Reporting: Action Framework. Antigonish, NS: National Collaborating Centre for Determinants of Health, St. Francis Xavier University.