Housing as a focus for public health action on equity: A curated list
The NCCDH has collected a list of resources that public health can use to support action on housing as a determinant of population health equity. The document includes 10 resources organized around three themes:
- Housing as a health issue in Canada: Strategies and calls to action that can position housing as a priority area for public health action
- The impact of housing on health equity: Sources that describe the impact of housing on health in a way that supports action on housing as a public health equity issue
- Housing as a focus of public health action: Resources that position housing as being within the scope of public health practice at multiple levels of the system
Links to additional resources that support action are also provided. This curated list is not meant to be a comprehensive collection of research that describes how housing is a social determinant of health; instead, the purpose is to point to housing as a focal point for action on population health equity regardless of whether housing is an explicit focus of the public health mandate.
National Collaborating Centre for Determinants of Health. (2018). Housing as a Focus for Public Health Action on Equity: A Curated List. National Collaborating Centre for Determinants of Health. Antigonish, NS: St Francis Xavier University.
- Toward healthy homes for all: RentSafe summary and recommendations (2018)
- Housing need in Canada: Healthy lives start at home (2015)
- Pathways to improving well-being for Indigenous peoples: How living conditions decide health (2013)
- Healthy built environment linkages toolkit: Making the links between design, planning and health, version 2.0 (2018)