Capitalizing on change: Building leadership competency in public health in Quebec
Cette ressource est aussi disponible en français.
This document is part of the 'Leadership for Health Equity' Series.
As a part of our Public Health leadership initiative, the NCCDH produced a series of case studies profiling instances of leadership to advance health equity in Canada. These documents are learning tools; they are designed to help Public Health staff reflect on the qualities of effective leadership in advancing health equity, as well as on the strategies and conditions that develop and support these qualities in Public Health leaders at all levels.
Extensive changes to the health structure in Québec meant that public health risked being lost in the shuffle. Legislation in November 2005 merged public health services, traditionally provided through community service locations, into regional centres that included long-term care facilities and hospitals. Seizing the opportunity, Dr. Jocelyne Sauvé, Public Health Director for the region of La Montérégie, developed a detailed training program to embed a population health approach in the new managers, many of whom had little or no experience in public health. Her program was a resounding success, and is now being implemented province-wide, instilling a population-health perspective into all health service delivery.
Use this resource to
- Develop leadership in public health and health equity.
- Make inroads into health care by capitalizing on public health successes.
- Make ‘systems change’ by building health equity into planning and performance indicators.
Also in this series:
- Public health leadership to advance health equity: A review summary
- Public health leadership for action on health equity: A literature review
- Case Study: Leadership for health equity: Working intersectorally and engaging the community in Western Health (2014)
- Case Study: Fostering health through healing: engaging the community to create a poverty reduction strategy in Nunavut (2014)
- Case Study: Alberta Health Services: Establishing a province-wide social determinants of health and health equity approach (2013)
- Case Study: Making the case for health equity: Winnipeg’s experience (2012)
- Case Study: Improving health equity in Saskatoon: From data to action (2012)
- Case Study: Empower the community: New Brunswick’s approach to overcoming poverty (2012)
National Collaborating Centre for Determinants of Health. (2012). Bridging the gap between research and practice: Building leadership competency in public health - Taking advantage of changes in health delivery in Québec. Antigonish, NS: Author.