Public health action to address Whiteness: A curated list
This resource is also available in French.
This 2021 curated list of tools and resources from the NCCDH aims to support public health practitioners, policy-makers and leaders in understanding Whiteness and disrupting White supremacy in public health systems and institutions. The publication highlights how a deeper understanding of Whiteness and the links between Whiteness and health equity can help to support those in public health develop equitable, anti-racist approaches and practices; such an understanding is also essential for White dominant organizations to build effective partnerships with Black, Indigenous and People of Colour (BIPOC) communities.
The list includes brief summaries of books, videos, articles, podcasts, posters, webinars and toolkits from a variety of sectors and policy environments relevant to public health.
Resources are categorized according to four broad overlapping approaches to undoing Whiteness introduced in the NCCDH’s publication Let’s Talk: Whiteness and health equity:
- Unlearning Whiteness
- Disrupting institutional Whiteness
- Promoting racial justice in communities
- Re-envisioning policy to address racial inequities
This curated list further explores other concepts introduced in Let’s Talk: Whiteness and health equity.
Use this resource to
- increase your understanding of Whiteness in relation to health equity
- develop knowledge and skill to identify how Whiteness is manifest across individual, institutional and systemic levels
- build policies to address racial inequities that are disconnected from White supremacy
- build effective partnerships with, and take leadership from, Black, Indigenous and People of Colour (BIPOC) communities when challenging Whiteness
National Collaborating Centre for Determinants of Health. (2021). Public health action to address Whiteness: A curated list. Antigonish, NS: NCCDH, St. Francis Xavier University.
- Let’s Talk: Whiteness and health equity (2020)
- Let’s Talk: Racism and health equity (2018)
- Key public health resources for anti-racism action: A curated list (2018)