Webinars on racism, anti-racism and racial equity
These webinars are available in the language in which they were originally delivered, either English or French as noted below.
The National Collaborating Centre for Determinants of Health (NCCDH) has produced a suite of webinars and other related resources that, when reviewed together, serve as a substantive primer on racism, anti-racism and racial equity as they relate to public health practice.
This webinar series can be used for both individual and organizational learning.
As a group, they create the space to review relevant evidence and knowledge in an organizational setting. This includes important discussions about how public health institutions and the larger community should:
- recognize racism as an oppressive system that harms health;
- disrupt racism and colonialism in active ways; and
- collaborate to invest in healthy communities.
While there may be some overlap in the content of these webinars, we recommend that these webinar recordings be viewed in the following order:
- Webinar recording: “Racing” the social determinants of health and health equity (Part 1 of 2)
- Webinar recording: Racial health equity: Embracing a decolonial, anti-racist practice (part of the Public Health Training for Equitable Systems Change on-demand webinar series, and also available in French under the title Équité raciale en santé : véhiculer des pratiques décolonisatrices et dépourvues de racisme)
- Webinar recording: Can understanding Whiteness improve anti-racism activities in health?
- Webinar recording: “Racing” the social determinants of health and health equity (Part 2 of 2)
- Webinar recording: Disrupting the colour-coded labour market: Implications for public health organizations
Webinars that focus on working with specific racialized communities:
- Webinar recording: Promising practices in Indigenous community health promotion
- Webinar recording: Actionable ways to address anti-Black racism & police violence through public health practice
- Webinar recording: Intersectionality and health equity: Exploring opportunities for public health practice and policy (also available in French under the title Intersectionnalité et équité en santé : exploration des possibilités en matière de politiques et de pratiques en santé publique)
- Statement: “A call to action to disrupt anti-Blackness in public health practice” (2020)
- Let’s Talk: Racism and health equity (2018)
- Key public health resources for anti-racism action: A curated list (2018)
- Learning from practice: Advocacy for health equity – environmental racism (2017)