Establishing a new interface between public health and primary care: A curated list
Cette ressource est également disponible en français.
This curated reading list from the NCCDH and the National Collaborating Centre for Infectious Diseases (NCCID) introduces key resources for learning about how public health and primary care relate to one another.
Primary care and public health
Primary care supports “first-contact, accessible, continued, comprehensive and coordinated patient-focused care,” while the goal of public health is to improve the health of populations through protection, promotion, prevention, surveillance and responses, and emergency preparedness. Both are fundamental to the World Health Organization’s primary health care model. Currently, primary care and public health work largely independently; there are both calls and cautions about integrating these sectors.
The key resources in this curated list include systematic reviews, scoping reviews, reports, frameworks and toolkits, organized into five sections:
- Analyses and reviews of the primary care and public health interface and partnerships
- Introductions to primary health care
- Tools for primary care to address population health and health equities
- Where to find case studies
This resource is part of NCCDH and NCCID’s work exploring how the COVID-19 pandemic may present new opportunities to address the interface between public health and primary care, with special attention to reducing health inequities.
Use this resource to
- increase your understanding of how primary health and public health are related
- identify examples of local partnerships across public health and primary care
- consider how to build effective interactions between primary care and public health in order to build primary health care
Companion Document: Reflections on the relationship between public health and primary care (2021)
National Collaborating Centre for Determinants of Health, National Collaborating Centre for Infectious Diseases. (2021). Establishing a new interface between public health and primary care: A curated list. Antigonish, NS: NCCDH, St. Francis Xavier University.