Ethical foundations of health equity: A curated list
This resource is also available in French.
This curated reading list is designed to help public health practitioners bolster their understanding of ethical foundations and considerations of health equity.
The resource is organized into the following five categories:
- Prominent theories of justice in public health contains books representing philosophical contributions that support social justice as the basis for public health work.
- Advancing the concept of justice in public health practice explores how concepts in social justice including values, political philosophy and social injustice should be considered in the context of public health.
- Key related concepts and considerations discusses additional concepts relevant to social justice such as intersectionality, Indigenous health and feminist ethics.
- The section on public health competencies discusses how determinants of health and equity are integrated in core competencies, including social justice and issues that are central to Indigenous Peoples
- Practice tools and perspectives features resources from the National Collaborating Centre for Healthy Public Policy and the National Association of County and City Health Officials that examine social justice and health equity in public health policy and practice.
Ethical foundations of health equity: A curated list has been developed alongside Let’s Talk: Ethical foundations of health equity, part of our Let’s Talk series. The companion document discusses ethical implications and concepts of justice in decision-making related to public health interventions to improve health equity.
National Collaborating Centre for Determinants of Health. Ethical foundations of Health Equity: A Curated List. (2020). Antigonish, NS: NCCDH, St. Francis Xavier University.
- Let’s Talk: Ethical foundations of health equity (2020)
- Let’s Talk: Values and health equity (2020)
- Let's Talk: Health equity (2013)
- Let's Talk: Advocacy and health equity (2015)
- Let's Talk: Racism and health equity (2018)
Tags: Communicate, Competencies & organizational standards , Intersectoral action, Key concepts, Racism/racialization, Reading list, National Collaborating Centre for Determinants of Health, Report / Document